Saturday, March 31, 2012

how it came to be

This is the story of two wheels...two wheels and the loss of the one person I cared about more than anything else in the world...two wheels that kept rolling while my world came crashing down...two wheels that brought me back to life.

I used to date a cyclist. In August of 2010 a car hit her on her bicycle. I watched her go through a frustrating and painful rehab. She returned to the sport without hesitation. I never had the opportunity to tell her how much I admired her for that.


The experience was a turning point. It was the defining moment when I realized just how much cycling meant to her and what an asshole I had been for not understanding it.


Her strength and determination inspired me to purchase my own bike. I looked forward to sharing in something that she is so passionate about. I never had that chance. In the blink of an eye, she was gone from my life and I was left with a hole in my heart bigger than anyone could imagine...and a brand new Cannondale CAAD10.


I turned to the road as an escape. There were days when I couldn’t eat. There were nights when I couldn’t sleep. The only guarantee was the few hours each day when I didn’t have to think about anything except turning the pedals. When my helmet goes on, my mind shuts off. It’s freedom, there’s no other way to describe it.


As spring turned to summer I got more involved with local shop rides. I met several people who became close friends, many of whom suggested that I should consider racing.
It sat in the back of my mind for months. It stayed there until I was able to determine that I wanted to do it for the right reasons.

I’ve worked my ass off since November. Tomorrow is my first race. I probably won’t win, but either way, it will feel like a small victory.

MySpace Tracker

No comments: