Wednesday, October 5, 2011

chances are...

Chances are that when one door closes, it won’t be long until another one opens...at least that’s the way I’ve been trying to see things lately.

As a child, I was overweight and not particularly athletic. The summer before my freshman year in college, I began running with my high school cross-country team and the pounds shed. I joined the novice crew team at St. Joseph’s University, where running was incorporated into training. I continued to run after college. It is something I love, but lately, it hasn’t loved me.

Over the past few years, the doctors have suggested that I cut back my miles. The impact of running is taking a toll on (the inside of) my body. I struggled with this for a while. I was stubborn, not wanting to give up something that’s defined who I am for so long. Now, I don't have much of a choice.

So, here’s to focusing more on the things that I can do instead of the things that I can’t.





“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” - Marcel Proust


No comments: