Monday, September 19, 2005

persolvo pretium: my take on existentialism

Looking back on the past few weeks of my life, I find myself asking the question “what the hell was that all about?”

 

I’m sure this wasn’t the first time and it won’t be the last time that I have felt this way…experiencing emotions from as high as wanting to sing every love song that came on country radio to as low as wondering if I got in my car and just started driving, if anyone would actually miss me.

 

I am in a perpetual state of trying to make sense of the world. Sometimes I have to force myself not to think, just so I can sleep at night. Being in class two nights a week has really sent my mind into overload.

 

Last week we were talking about Existentialism. Straight out of the dictionary, it is a philosophy that emphasizes the uniqueness and isolation of the individual experience in a hostile or indifferent universe, regards human existence as unexplainable, and stresses freedom of choice and responsibility for the consequences of one's acts.

 

I’m not sure if I’m entirely in agreement with the premises of Existentialism, but I’ve been able to put my own spin on it…which may be completely off from anything that it represents, but it’s what I have taken away from it and it’s helpful to me so that’s all that really matters.

 

No doubt that in life, shit will happen.

1) It just gets harder when you ask why.

2) Consequences: you must pay the price for your actions.

No comments: