Tuesday, November 9, 2010

piloerection

Riley has always been a little different. I am pretty certain she’s the only female dog in the neighborhood that lifts her leg to pee. And then there’s that whole coprophagia thing which surfaces every winter. Needless to say, I wasn’t surprised when she started exhibiting another new behavior, incessant raising of her hackles while on a walk.

Piloerection, or the hair standing on end at the shoulders or from the shoulders down the back is a sign of arousal or excitement associated most often with fear. It is a function of the nervous system and is an involuntary reaction to a stimulus such as fear or cold.


An afternoon walk lasts about twenty minutes. I took my camera today and snapped a picture of everything that made her hackles stand on end. When I initially noticed this behavior, I would stop, sit her down and pet her. That was completely ineffective and since it doesn’t seem to bother her I just let it go now. It’s just another addition to the list of things that make Riley special.


White fence at the house where a dog lived about four years ago
Petie's House


The street


Trashcans from a distance


About to see her nemesis the mailman



Hole in a fence where she saw a dog one time


Rabbit


House with a tiny dog in the window


Kids on bicycles


Just saw a squirrel


This house gets her every time and I am not sure why


Wooden fence




MySpace Tracker

1 comment:

Arleigh Jenkins said...

I think your dog sees ghost