Sunday, February 20, 2011

the forest for the trees

I made it a point today NOT to set any sort of goal for distance. Instead, I decided to hike about an hour and a half one-way, turn around and hike back. I wanted to see what it felt like to have nowhere to go, no destination.

So many times I’ve found myself using the trail as a means to an end...to get to the vista point, to see the water fall, etc...and I fail to take in everything on the path that leads me there.

One thing that I’ve had a difficult time coming to terms with lately is that everybody seems to be in a hurry to get somewhere. They rush from A to B to C and hardly ever notice anything along the way. It’s the most noticeable on city streets or when I’m driving. I do my best to tune it out, but I can’t help but be affected. There was a time when it made me anxious, but now, I just feel sorry for those people.



MySpace Tracker

No comments: