Sunday, November 13, 2011

DT on the AT: New York

Anytime there is a mild weekend like this in November it’s a bonus.

There are 88 miles of the Appalachian Trail in New York. The trail crosses the Hudson River, entering Harriman-Bear Mountain State Park, where the first section of the A.T. was completed in 1923. Heading south, the trail then passes through the newly protected Sterling Forest.

The loop I hiked was about four miles, climbing Bear Mountain on the Major Welch Trail and descending via the Appalachian Trail.


I was driving to the gym on Friday and looked out of the passenger side window. I watched a hawk fly parallel to me for nearly 200 yards. My first thought was “Wow, that was really sweet!” and my second was “I sure wish I had a camera.”


Later in the day, I worked a private party at the ropes course. There were several parents, armed with cameras, snapping photographs of their children every opportunity they had. It was almost as if they weren’t present, in the moment. They were consumed by taking pictures, in an attempt to preserve the experience.


I thought about the hawk and how, I too am guilty of doing the same thing these people were doing...but for what reason? Some of my favorite memories are ones that were never captured in a picture. Even though they happened years ago, they’re as vivid as if they were yesterday.


So, I hiked the Appalachian Trail today and made a memory...one that’s just for me.

No comments: