Friday, December 18, 2015

leave it at the door


I’ve been training some new people this fall. After a week long absence, one of them returned to inform me that a family member had fallen ill. She was under a great deal of stress, which was exacerbated by the impending Holidays.

I listened to what she had to say, then I told her to “leave it at the door.” I didn’t say it to be mean; I said it to be honest. You get half an hour, twice a week for yourself. Let that time be for you.

Thankfully, she was receptive to my message.

Lately, I’ve found myself engaged in conversations with my clients about my personal life more frequently than I’d like. At times, it’s difficult to balance being personable and professional...and I know they mean no harm, but it still doesn’t make it appropriate. 

The reason for this struggle is because I practice what I preach. When I walk through that door, I am there to do my job. If only everyone else would "leave it at the door" we’d all be more productive.
MySpace Tracker

No comments: