Sunday, December 3, 2017

suck it up buttercup

On January 1st of this year I began using exclusively cold water when showering. I wasn’t sure how long this would last. Starting during the cold winter months wasn’t exactly the best timing for this experiment. Yet, I persevered and have stuck with it for almost an entire year.

When I turn on the shower there are no surprises. I know that the water is going to be ice cold. I know that I have no choice but to embrace the chill. Skirting around the edges, dipping in my toe only delays the inevitable. It is best to dive in, head first, to immerse myself in the freezing water.

It has been an exercise in mental toughness. I don’t know how else to explain it. The benefit has been most noticeable on the days when I don’t feel like fulfilling my (personal and/or work related) responsibilities. This time last year I wouldn’t have thought twice about it. Now, it isn’t even an option.
MySpace Tracker

No comments: