Monday, December 15, 2008

57 varieties

The slogan on a bottle of Heinz Ketchup reads “57 Varieties.” I have always wondered what that meant. Most of the time the thought has crossed my mind while out at a restaurant and I forgot about it half way through my fries. But this week was different. Not only did I remember, but also I have decided to share this information with you. If anything, it makes for a good conversation piece.

 

What does the "57" stand for in Heinz’s famous slogan, "57 Varieties?"

 

While riding a train in New York City in 1896, Henry Heinz saw a sign advertising 21 styles of shoes, which he thought was clever. Although Heinz was manufacturing more than 60 products at the time, Henry thought 57 was a lucky number. So, he began using the slogan "57 Varieties" in all his advertising. Today the company has more than 5,700 products around the globe, but still uses the magic number of "57."

 

 

And while I’m writing I thought I’d use this as an opportunity to plug my new favorite word, which I encourage you to use with frequency.


Flossin

  1. Showing off an object in which usually possesses great value.

 eg: Flossin my grill like a dentist

 

  1. Rolling in a fine ride with the general intent to enjoy ostentation, prestige.

 eg: Once my Brabus dubs show up, I'll be flossin with the S class like it ain't no thang

 

  1. Showing off

 eg: Look at homeboy flossin his ice wanksta

No comments: