Monday, June 24, 2013

Catskill 3500

The Catskill High Peaks are all of the mountains in New York's Catskill Mountains above 3,500 feet in elevation whose summits are separated either by one-half mile or a vertical drop of at least 250 feet between it and the next nearest separate summit. 

There are 35 peaks that meet these criteria with the highest peak being Slide Mountain topping out at 4,180 feet. The peaks can be broken into 3 general zones: northern, central and southern. 

This weekend was my first visit to the Catskills. I met some awesome people on the trail and at Woodland Valley Campground, drank some good beer in Phoenicia and New Patlz and hiked five high peaks. I learned quickly that hiking "The Cats" is no joke. The trails go straight up!

I'll be documenting my trips to the Catskills here as I move toward the goal of climbing all 35 high peaks. MySpace Tracker

No comments: