Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Face to Face

There are panhandlers stationed at various locations throughout the city. One of the most popular spots is at the light immediately after crossing the Ben Franklin Bridge.

I always dread when I'm stopped here because of the awkward exchange that takes place as someone passes by my window with a paper cup and cardboard sign. I've fiddled with the radio, pretended to be on the phone, and acted as if no one was there. It's not very often that I have spare change, but when I do, I'll toss it their way. Regardless of what I do, it's always an uncomfortable situation.

The other day I read an op-ed piece from the NY Times entitled "How Not To Be Alone." If I had a bible, this would be a page right from it. While it didn't necessarily speak on the topic of panhandlers, it did touch on humanity and the way in which technology has altered our ability to feel.

I thought about this later in the afternoon as I crossed the bridge into Philadelphia. I stopped at the light and was approached by a panhandler. I had nothing to give him, but looked him in the eye and told him so. To which he replied "God bless you, have a good day." The light changed and I was on my way, feeling a little more connected.
MySpace Tracker

No comments: