Saturday, August 6, 2016

#milesformatt

I hit the Gunsight Pass Trail shortly after 7AM. 

About three miles in I heard some rustling in the brush. It was a bull moose. I made some noise. He came closer. I took several steps away, started playing music and waited.

From there it was a fairly pleasant walk in the woods until I hit the pass and started to climb. There were a couple of snow hazards on the trail, one of which sent me on pretty gnarly detour. Then came the waterfalls.

A dry pair of socks and a peanut butter sandwich at the Sperry Chalet prepared me for the next round...(what I thought was)a two-ish mile hike to Sperry Glacier, then down to Lake Mc Donald Lodge.

BUT...One of the chalet employees kindly informed me that the hike to the glacier was FOUR miles, NOT the TWO I had anticipated.

AWESOME. 

I considered my options...add 8 miles onto a 20 mile hike OR be content with a 20 mile hike. Then I thought about the trip that my brother and I took to Grinnell Glacier. He almost didn’t join me, but changed his mind at the last minute because the opportunity might not present itself again.

And so I took the extra walk and I thought of him the entire way.

During my two weeks in the park I encountered several people on the trail who commented on the pace at which I hike...many think I go too fast to appreciate the scenery. What they don’t understand and quite frankly what no one understands is that this is where the pain goes away. 
MySpace Tracker

No comments: