Tuesday, April 18, 2017

update: the april experiment

I am writing this mostly to give insight to anyone who is curious about intermittent fasting. When I started this experiment at the beginning of the month my only knowledge on intermittent fasting came from the internet. I had no idea if it would fit into my life. 

Some of the variables to be considered are work, exercise patterns and social outings. For instance, on Easter Sunday my parents wanted to go out to brunch. I have been breaking my fast at Noon. Fortunately, they were willing to accommodate. 

Exercising has not been an issue because I was already accustomed to doing cardio in a fasted state in the morning. Weight training has proven to be somewhat of a challenge. Lifting in a fasted state doesn’t feel right for me so it has been moved until after I have had my second meal in the early evening. 

The only problematic aspect involving work is that I cannot commute (by bike) on the day that I am with clients until 12:30pm because I don’t have the strength (mentally or physically) to ride home. 

Some of the observations I have made over the past two weeks:
  • The urge to snack has diminished. 
  • I do better at tracking my macros.
  • I give myself less “free passes” because I am usually full by the end of the meal.
  • I eat slower (meals now take up to 40 minutes).
  • It’s still possible to eat out, but knowing when and where in advance makes it easier.
  • I’ve lost two pounds. 

As long as it fits, I will continue with intermittent fasting next month...although I won’t allow it to come between me and Mr. Softee when he comes around on summer afternoons. MySpace Tracker

No comments: