Saturday, September 21, 2013

Charm City CX

My pre-race neurosis set in around 9pm on Friday night. One quick call to a dear friend set me straight. I texted my Saturday morning ride to let her know I'd be driving on my own. 

I arrived at Druid Hill Park on Saturday morning just before 8:30AM to pre-ride the course. It seemed more difficult than Nittany CX two weeks ago. I went to registration, got my number 613 (lucky 13 again) and did one more lap on the course. I wasn't feeling it. I rolled up to the starting line nervous...more nervous than I have even been for a CX race...then the whistle blew and it was fun again.  

The course had one set of barriers, a staircase, tree planter and double sand pit in other words, I'd be on and off the bike at least four times per lap. During the warm up, I made the decision to run the sand pits as opposed to riding them. It was a wise decision, which enabled me to pass people who got stuck or fell down in the sand. 


There were so many people on the course it was difficult to tell where I had finished...but my lungs felt like they were bleeding and the entire race was a blur, both clear indicators that I given it a good effort...turns out, good enough for 11th place in a field of nearly 50 women...my best MAC finish and one spot away from my season goal of cracking the top ten. 


Charm City Post Race Beer: Du Claw Brewing Company, Sweet Baby Jesus! Normally, I'm not a fan of porters, but place the words "chocolate" and "peanut butter" before it and it's a different story. If you are in the Baltimore area (there are three locations), check this place out. The beers are fantastic and a growler fill (they'll fill any) is only $12.MySpace Tracker

No comments: