Sunday, September 29, 2013

Town Hall CX

The second day of Charm City CX was a bust for me. I'm unaccustomed to racing back to back, had a poor start and was unable to get clipped into my left pedal a majority of the last lap. A seventeenth place finish is not bad (top 5 Cat 4) but it wasn't what I had hoped for and not the way I way I wanted to spend my birthday. On the drive home from Baltimore, the race replayed in my mind. I spent the week working on starts, determined to improve on my last performance. 

Town Hall CX was the first race of the PACX Series. I did a few of these races last year and they were my favorites because registration is cheap ($25) and they give merchandise prizes to the top five in each field. The course had a significant climb entitled the St. Luke's Staircase and one set of barriers. When I previewed the course I was unable to ride up the steepest section of the climb, but hoped that would change when riding at race pace. 


Photo Credit:Dennis Smith
I lined up in the front row, knowing that I had to maintain this position on the start and first lap in order to finish well...and I did. Heading in to the bell lap I was in a group of three and heard the announcer refer to us as the "chase group" for third place. Shortly thereafter, one of the riders flatted, leaving myself and another in contention for third place. We had battled for most of the race. I passed her on the climbs and she passed me on the descents...and that's exactly what she did on the final lap and I could not catch her. I crossed the line in fourth place for my first podium of the season.



Town Hall Post Race Beer: Fegley's Brew Works Devious Imperial Pumpkin.   
The Bethlehem Brew Works was about three miles from the race course. I called in advance to make sure they would fill a growler from another brewery (they do) and planned on getting one filled after the race. The Main Street exit was closed and traffic in the area was a mess. I could see the Brew Works two blocks ahead and pulled into a twenty minute parking zone. Growler in hand,I ran two blocks, up hill (that hurt) and found myself in the middle of a parade. I slipped into the Brew Works and the bar tender filled my growlier with Devious Imperial Pumpkin. It's 9% abv of pumpkin awesomeness and runs a close second to Southern Tier Pumking and my favorite pumpkin beer.
MySpace Tracker

No comments: