Sunday, October 13, 2013

WhirlyBird CX

Today was my one year CX anniversary. I remember that nervous feeling at WhirlyBird last year. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, nor how much I would enjoy it. 

I opted not to take the first row start my bib number entitled me to. Instead, I lined up in the second row behind a wheel that I trusted. Starts are a work in progress…there's the tension at the starting line, your heart rate going from 88 to 188 in 10 seconds, all while trying to clip in with thirty people around you...not to mention trying to find the proper line. I lost contact with the lead group shortly after the start, but kept them in sight the entire race. 


My coach explained a race as a series of "if, then" scenarios. Today was the best example of that statement I've seen thus far. It's hard enough to keep your legs moving when your heart rate is pegged and your lungs feel like they're bleeding...having to incorporate anything cerebral into the equation seems too taxing...but if you don't stay mentally sharp, you're going to go down with that girl who just toppled over in the mud...you're going to get passed on the inside by that girl who's on your wheel.

I rode a smart race today, made two big moves in the last lap and finished 8th. I also attained a season goal of finishing in the top 10 at a MAC Race...Happy CX Anniversary to me!

WhirlyBird Post Race Beer: I picked something up at Canal's on the way home and had every intention of drinking it, then it was 7:30pm and I was in my pajamas. There's always tomorrow!
MySpace Tracker

No comments: