Sunday, October 20, 2013

West Chester Cross Classic

I probably should play the lottery tomorrow...either that or we'll be getting a foot of snow some time this week.

Last weekend I raced a double...Saturday was early and Sunday was late (and shorter). This weekend, Saturday was late and Sunday was early. I arrived at Bayard Rustin High School to preview the course before the 9AM race. After doing more climbing in 8 miles than on a 40 mile ride in South Jersey at Star Rock CX, my legs were not happy...but they had no other choice.

When we lined up, I noticed that a few of the ladies that I usually battle with had moved into the 1/2/3 field. This increased my chances of doing well, but there was still some strong competition in the 3/4 race. 

I got a decent start (for me) which meant that ten people didn't fly past me and stayed in the lead group for the first lap. Mid-way through the second lap I took the lead, but there were still two ladies close by...too close for my comfort. On the third lap I got some breathing room thanks to smooth transitions and a few short, hard efforts on the straightaways.  One last technical section through a rock bed and I was home free for my second win of the weekend. I still can't believe it.

We waited around for a long time, but they finally called us up for the podium and I was handed a bag of goodies...so much stuff that I still haven't finished sorting through it. The best part of all of this was sharing the podium with four other great ladies. I look forward to seeing them every weekend from September to November. I love CX.

West Chester Cross Classic Post Race Beer: Southern Tier Pumking

Hell yeah! I bought two bottles of this last month and was saving it for a special occasion.  It is my favorite pumpkin beer...cheers!


MySpace Tracker

No comments: