Monday, September 9, 2013

Nittany CX

Ten months. I waited ten months to write this post. Cyclocross season is finally here!

I took some time off from structured training after Crossasuarus Awesome. When January rolled around I was back at it, forever changed. Riding on the road was ok, but it wasn't cross. As the months went on I found myself less interested in road racing. The workouts became more about maintaining fitness for CX Season.  


My first race of the 2013 season was Nittany Cross on Sunday September 8th. There were 47 women in my race (Cat 3/4 Women). It was the largest field I've been in so far. 

The course was mostly flat. We dismounted twice, once for a log and another for a set of barriers. After a rooty, winding section in the woods there was a long straightway, which was my favorite part of the course...hammer time!

The race started fast and stayed fast. I learned a valuable lesson last season about the importance of the first lap. I did my best to hold my position through the first two laps, then went to work, picking off riders. When it comes to racing cross, my strength is the ability to endure suffering. My weakness is choosing the right lines, which is one area I'm looking to improve upon this year.

I crossed the line in 13th place. Lucky 13! I can only hope that it is foreshadowing...if so, it should be a good season. 


My post race beer selection was a Pumpkin Ale from Iron Hill Brewery. Definitely not my favorite offering from Iron Hill. Definitely not my favorite Pumpkin Beer, but I was able to force down two pints.MySpace Tracker

No comments: