Tuesday, August 30, 2005

a social experiment

I had this entry marked as private for a while because I was trying to fine tune some of my words...and then I decided that the way in which I was saying it didn't matter so much as what I was saying.

At the end of August I decided to conduct a week long "social experiment."  The idea came one Saturday evening after sushi and maybe a little too much sake. As my friend chiefy says "It goes down easy."

I was curious to see if my profile picture had an impact on page views, blog views, comments, messages and friend requests.

I took a picture of my abs (yes, that was really my stomach) and left it as my main profile picture for a week. On the first day alone I had 150 page views. Normally, I get between 10 and 15 per day. 

There were noticeable increases in blog views, friend requests and messages received. Initially, men sent more messages and friend requests, but it started to even out by the end of the week. Also, I don't think the men paid much attention to the fact that I am a lesbian, but that's a topic we can reserve for another blog entry.

So what does all of this mean? First and foremost I have way too much free time on my hands. I knew the picture would have some sort of impact, but not to the extent that it did. I wonder what this says about people.

The thing that I think about the most is this...I have had some important and some not so important ideas conveyed in my blogs. By posting a picture of this nature, my thoughts were received by a larger audience. Whether or not it was a group able to appreciate it is up for debate, but the fact of the matter is that my body is what lead people to explore my mind....and that just fascinates me.

And so the social experiment part two begins...I wonder how many of you are reading this.

DSCF0061.jpg

No comments: