Sunday, May 6, 2012

Third time’s a charm or bad things happen in threes?


When the race calendar was posted several months ago, I identified the Tour of Colts Neck as my goal race.  As of April 7th my goal was to finish this race, on my bike and in one piece.
 
The drive up was accompanied by a churning stomach, which is a feeling I haven’t had since my days as a collegiate rower and one that has not been missed.

I spent the majority of the race as a careful observer, noting who was working together, which riders were being protected and who couldn't hold a line. I moved up in the field toward the end of the third lap into a safe position.
 
On the last lap, I saw Lauren to my right, powering up the hill. I grabbed her wheel and we turned on the afterburners. Three other riders followed and we had a gap. It didn’t last very long, but it sure was fun and it helped to string out the field a bit.

Coming into the final stretch, the sprint was somewhat compromised because we caught the 1/2/3 race ahead of us. There was a big shift to the left and I was tied up in it. At that moment it became difficult to suppress the drive to win, but staying safe this time around was my primary goal...mission accomplished. I rolled across the line in 7th place, right on Lauren’s wheel and decided to save the sprint for next time.

Today's race was brought to you courtesy of the honey badger.



MySpace Tracker

No comments: