Monday, September 17, 2012

reflections from the road


The Blueberry Time Trial on July 28th marked the official end of my first season of road racing. Last week I had a meeting with my coach. We talked about the season and where things go from here. Right now, I am content with riding just for fun. My focus has shifted to running, hiking and doing more yoga. These are things that had taken a back seat during the months I spent training and racing. 

This was definitely the most difficult athletic endeavor I have undertaken. Collegiate rowing was a challenge, but the preparation was not nearly as intense nor was the season as long. 

I started to realize that it’s not just hours of training that can take a toll on you (mentally and physically) it’s traveling to races, getting up early on weekends, preparing your bike and packing a bag the night before, making sure you have clothes for any type of weather...and that’s not even mentioning the intensity of race day. 

A few weeks ago I was playing “The Book of Questions” game and was asked...If you were to die this evening with no opportunity to communicate with anyone, what would you most regret not having told someone? Why haven’t you told them yet? Without hesitation, I responded...I would tell Anne that I never realized the sacrifices she made for me...it wasn’t because I didn’t appreciate her...it was because I didn’t understand. 

Until you walk a mile in their shoes...

I still have a TON of things to learn about cycling. From the experiences I’ve had has grown and immense amount of respect for the dedication of those who are passionate about the sport.

MySpace Tracker

No comments: