Thursday, October 4, 2018

The (delay of a) Comeback


The idea of entering a few cyclocross races popped into my head at the end of August. I spent most of my free time for the past three summers in New Hampshire, chipping away at the Four Thousand Footers. Riding a bicycle seemed like a nice change of pace

The first thing I did was request a downgrade from Cat 2 to Cat 3. Let’s be honest, I’ve never been Cat 2 material and racing Cat 3 would provide me with more options.

Once that was approved I started looking at the race calendar. The biggest obstacle I’ve faced when I comes to racing is the cost. After paying for a license, registration fees and gas it becomes quite costly. Not to mention it prohibits me from working on weekends, which I frequently do.

A few posts on social media landed me in a much better position. Not only was I able to coordinate volunteer work in exchange for free registration, an old cx pal “sponsored” me by covering the cost of my license.

I was all set to return last Sunday at Cooper River CX.

On Saturday morning I helped with course set up which involved raking leaves, picking up sticks and taping the course. When I was finished I went home and passed out. The next morning I woke up feeling like shit. My sinuses were full of yuck and my chest felt heavy. I went to the gym to see if I could loosen things up a bit to no avail...if I could barely breathe inside then a full blown effort outside was out of the question.

I struggled with this decision, mainly because I told people that I would be there and I don’t like going back on my word. When all is said and done I am not doing this for anyone but myself so when I do finally get out there again I want it to feel right.

MySpace Tracker

No comments: