Monday, March 16, 2009

March 16: North Side Scoots

Recently, I was asked to join the North Side Scoots, the most exclusive scooter gang in all of Philadelphia. I graciously accepted their invitation and began the search for a scooter. I decided to purchase the Honda Ruckus. As I began the process at the dealership, the sales representative informed me that I would need to obtain a motorcycle license in order to operate my scooter in NJ.

I don't see how scooters are anything like motorcycles, but wasn't surprised that NJ found a way to make the process more complicated, time consuming and expensive (PA only requires a standard drivers license). I stopped by the DMV on Saturday and picked up the necessary paperwork to get the ball rolling. When I returned today the receptionist told me that I was wrong and that I would NOT need a motorcycle license. She then sent me over to the supervisor who made a phone call and came back to inform me that she wasn't exactly certain how to proceed.

Bottom Line: The NJ DMV is clueless.

I called the Honda dealer who told me they would register and tag my scooter as a motorcycle. I'm headed back to the DMV tomorrow to apply for my motorcycle license permit. I still don't see how scooters and motorcycles are anything alike.
MySpace Tracker

No comments: