Thursday, September 1, 2011

one year ago today...

I received a call that ultimately changed my life forever. It came from a bystander, who obtained my contact information from my fiancé’s Road ID. She had been hit (on her bicycle) by a car and was being taken to the emergency room.

As a result of the accident, she was unable to use her hands for a significant period of time. I did my best to take care of her, but inevitably, made some mistakes. Our relationship ended shortly thereafter. Perhaps it would have happened anyway. Perhaps the accident placed too much strain on our relationship.


Seldom does a day pass without a thought of her. I often wonder what it would have been like if she was able to forgive. I often wonder what it would have been like if she was able to trust.


Despite all that happened, I walked away from the experience a better person. I’ve taken her best qualities and incorporated them into who I am today. The decisions I make are guided by the lessons my mistakes have taught me.



No comments: