Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Ghost of Christmas Past

I have conceded to the fact that, whether I like it or not, Christmas is going to happen this year.

I fought off the ghost of Christmas past for as long as I could. Last night, the memories began to haunt me. Whether it is “normal” or not, I find myself thinking about last Christmas...where I was, what I was doing and most importantly, who I was with.

It’s no secret that for the past ten months I’ve struggled with the loss of my best friend. The holidays are a time of celebration, but I’d venture to say that for many people, they are also a time of sadness.

No matter how many parties I attend, no matter how much time I spend with family and friends, the feeling of emptiness is still present. The void cannot be filled by gifts, cookies or laughter.

There is a difference between loneliness and being alone.

I came across a quote today, “Your past is just a story. And once you realize this it has no power over you.” Some day, I will arrive at that end. For now, I appreciate those words and the knowledge that it is happening at my own pace.


MySpace Tracker

No comments: