Thursday, August 4, 2011

From 04462 to 33859

Last weekend I was supposed to go to Maine. I had been planning the trip to Baxter State Park to hike Mt. Katahdin for over a month.


On Wednesday night, I spoke to a close friend who had some bad news about her health. She said that the doctor wanted to bring her in immediately for a medical procedure. It was to take place on Monday morning. She was nervous. She was scared. She was alone. The only two friends she felt comfortable enough to accompany her were both busy on Monday. I told her that I would be there if it weren’t for my trip.


On Thursday morning, my hiking partner left work with a sinus cold, which got progressively worse as the day went on. Because of a heart condition, she was unable to take any medication for it. On Thursday evening, our trip was canceled.


Immediately, I hopped online and booked a flight to Orlando on US Airways. I was greeted at the airport with a warm smile and a hug. We didn’t do anything extraordinary during my visit, but the time spent together was special. My presence helped to keep her mind off of things.


Looking back, I probably should have made the decision on Wednesday night to cancel my trip to Maine. I’m fortunate that things played out the way that they did. Being there for her was the right thing to do.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes things just work out they way they should!