Friday, August 26, 2011

my road

It was a beautiful day...sunny, warm, but not too humid. I refer to these days as “Montana Days” because they remind me of summer time in Helena.

Coffee in hand, I hopped online and made my morning rounds. Many people on facebook were commenting on the gorgeous weather. I paused for a moment of thankfulness, never forgetting how fortunate I am.

I worked for ten years on a longitudinal research study at Temple University. My position was eliminated at the end of data collection and I became one of the VERY many unemployed. It wasn’t exactly the best time to lose my job, but then again, when is?

I spent the first couple months trying to figure out the direction in which I wanted to take my career. Then I thought about whether or not I even wanted a career at all. I’ve never been overly ambitious when it comes to work, never envisioned myself behind a desk or in a 9 to 5 job. The amount of money in my paycheck is of little significance to me.

I picked up a summer job at a ropes course. It paid $10 an hour, but I went to work every day with a smile on my face. Through the fall and winter months, I sent out countless resumes, which got me nowhere. Then one day I received a call about a research position that was opening at Temple. The study was similar to the one I had previously worked on; the only caveat was that it was part-time.

It was feasible. I accepted the position. Working twenty hours a week is right for right now. It affords me the flexibility to do things that most people daydream about while they are sitting at their desk.

It was a beautiful day. I hopped in my wrangler, top down and popped in a Van Morrison CD. Then I drove to the shore and walked on the beach. I played pinball and ate pizza. I took the long way home, thankful for the road that I was on...my road.


No comments: