Thursday, April 19, 2012

navigating though life’s awkward moments

The gym is my second home...

I frequently see this woman in the morning. When I enter the locker room she is usually getting ready for work. We’ll say hello and have a brief conversation before I begin my workout.

Yesterday, the first thing I saw when I walked into the locker room was this woman, naked (except for a pair of flip flops) drying her hair. Do I say hello to her and pretend like she isn’t naked? Do I act like I don’t see her?

Looking down as much as possible, I stashed my bag in a locker and made a quick exit. Today, I saw her again. This time she was wearing her work clothes. I said hello and she made a comment about her shoes...much better.


There is another woman who I frequently see in the evening...mid-forties, pale white, short shorts, headband with glasses...my friend refers to her as “the gazelle” because of her graceful nature on the elliptical machine.

And so...from time to time, the gym will give away trial sizes of various products. Last week there was a huge display of Tampax sport tampons on the bathroom counter. After my workout I went to wash my hands and there was the gazelle, standing there with her bag open, totally hoarding boxes of tampons.

It was awkward for two reasons...first, I don’t think she was expecting to see me (or anyone for that matter) and second, because (as gross as this sounds) I really didn’t need associate her with anything that has to do with menstruation.

MySpace Tracker

No comments: