Saturday, April 14, 2012

Readington ITT

The Readington Time Trial is 9km. After crashing out of my first two races, I figured that it might be a good idea to cross the finish line in one piece for a change and a Time Trial would give me that opportunity.


By Thursday, my right hand was working well enough to shift gears so I decided to give it go. I’d been on my bike about three hours in the past two weeks so my expectations weren’t too high. The biggest problem was going to be the two, large open cuts on each elbow, which were in the spot where I needed to bear weight on the arm rests.


I warmed up on my road bike, then headed to the start line. Taking off, my right knee (which is a big open sore from the Ronde Van Mullica crash) caught the edge of the arm rest and I knew that wasn’t going to be pretty. Aside from my knee throbbing and my lungs feeling like they were bleeding, it pretty much sucked. I rode as hard as I could for 9km, cooled down for about 15 minutes and waited an eternity for the results. I passed one rider and no one passed me so I was fairly confident that I didn’t come in last...and I didn’t.


When I started this journey in November I was told that this season would be a learning experience. Today I learned that I do not enjoy time trials.


MySpace Tracker

1 comment:

John said...

Have you considered Randonneuring?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randonneuring