Saturday, September 27, 2014

Charm City CX Day 2

For the two years I’ve raced, Charm City CX has been on my birthday weekend. Last year I had a poor result on day two and spent the remainder of my birthday in a shitty mood...but this season isn’t like last season and I’m not racing for results. 

I woke up at 6am and made a cup of French Press coffee. Hotel coffee is nasty. If packing a French Press makes me “high maintenance” I’m perfectly ok with it. I accidentally discovered that walking is a good way for me to get moving on the morning of a race, so I made my way to the fitness center of the Holiday Inn. The music I was subjected to for the next thirty minutes was awful...terrible...a mix of everything from Paula Cole to Oldies to Country. I wanted it to stop, but it didn’t and it stayed with me for days to come. 

The ride to from Cantonsville, MD to Druid Hill Park was short and foggy. Thankfully, visibility improved as I made my way to the course for a pre-ride. There were a few changes. The most notable was the “fly over” which was deemed too hazardous for us to ride on day one. 

I didn’t get the best start and was forced to dismount at the first technical section (a short, off camber) because other riders decided they needed to walk it. The leaders slipped away and gained more separation as I fought my way through the traffic. It wasn’t looking good. The climbs felt steeper and the sand was unforgiving. With two to go I had myself in a decent spot to make a push for 6th, but I ran out of gas and crossed the line 8th. 

I got changed and chatted with some friends (one of whom presented me with an awesome six pack of Left Hand Milk Stout). It was a tough two days of racing and I was glad that it was over...mainly because I was about to head to Camden Yards for a baseball game and dinner at Du Claw Brewing Company. 

Thanks to everyone who made my 40th birthday weekend at Charm City a good one!MySpace Tracker

No comments: