Monday, September 8, 2014

Nittany CX: DAY 2

Sunday morning was a carbon copy of Saturday morning, except for the fact that when my alarm went off I felt forty years old. 

Last season I raced back to back days on two occasions. Both times, I felt sluggish and sore on the second day, yielding poor results...and because I haven’t been training, I figured that today would be no different than what I experienced last year on day two. 

It had rained over night and the temperature was cool. I previewed the course in all of its muddy glory, then picked up my number. This isn’t a particularly profound thought but...what goes on behind you and what goes on in front of you can impact your race significantly...sometimes you come out on the winning end of things, sometimes you don’t. 

There was a lot going on during the first three minutes of this race, especially when we hit the mud. By the time I broke free from the congestion, the lead group had gotten a gap. I worked hard to close in on them and managed to reel in two riders, resulting in a fifth place finish. What pleased me the most was my consistency. Placing fourth and fifth on back to back days is definitely an improvement from last season. MySpace Tracker

No comments: