Sunday, November 24, 2013

Non-Race Report: PA State CX Championships

AKA the day I was pissed at the world

There's something wrong with me. Despite the fact that I cannot raise my left arm above my head, nor turn my head in both directions...despite the fact that race time wind chill would be in the teens with gusty winds...despite the fact that I've already locked up the top spot in the PACX 3/4 Series...I seriously considered racing today.

Friday's crash on the road left me banged up. Saturday morning I was stiff and sore. My left arm felt like someone had used it for a speed bag. I decided to rest.  My brain, however, had other plans. The entire day was spent playing ping pong in my head...I will race...I won't race...I should race....I shouldn't race. 

Then, I played coin flip...best out of three (don't race)...ok, best out of five (don't race)...no, wait, best out of seven (don't race)...I was getting annoyed with myself. When did I become this competitive? Why is racing CX so addictive?

I woke up Sunday morning undecided. So, I made a phone call and scheduled a work appointment in Southwest Philadelphia. The house had no heat (unless you count the oven) and little furniture. I sat on a plastic lawn chair and placed my bag on a dirty wooden coffee table. He sat across from me on a metal folding chair, thankful for my willingness to meet him on a Sunday afternoon.

That helped to put things into perspective. I guess that if not racing my bike today is my biggest problem I should be pretty grateful.
MySpace Tracker

No comments: