Sunday, November 3, 2013

Swashbuckler CX

November 2nd marked the date of my team's inaugural cross race (Caffeinated CX). It was also the date of a PA Series Race, Swashbuckler CX. As the season has progressed, the prospect of winning the Women's 3/4 Series in PA has become a realistic goal. Taking nothing for granted, I headed West this weekend to the grounds of the PA Renaissance Faire for Swashbuckler CX. 


Prior to inspecting the course, I'd received feedback from others that it was unsafe. The pre-ride left me feeling a bit uneasy. This was largely in part to the longest sandpit ever, which rewarded me with a pretty nasty battle scar after a failed attempt at riding. 

An up hill start left me in second place. I lost contact with the lead rider after the sand pit (I was 1 for 4 in my attempts to ride it) but quickly regained ground as we entered lap number two. At some point, I passed the lead rider, but we remained close. On the second lap I was able to ride the sand pit cleanly, which gave me some breathing room. The last two laps I turned it up a notch every opportunity I had, then dialed it back as not to make a mistake when approaching the technical sections. 


The promoters gave every participant a voucher for a turkey leg and six pack of beer. The podium was in front of a pirate ship and I was given a wooden sword for my first place finish.

Swashbuckler CX Post Race (Root) Beer: Appalachian Brewing Company

Because I need to get up at 5:30AM both days this weekend. Discovered circa 2001 while working on a research project for Temple University. I frequently had to visit a prison not far from Appalachian Brewing Company. After sampling all of their offerings, I opted with the six pack of root beer to go. It has been my favorite ever since.MySpace Tracker

No comments: