Wednesday, November 13, 2013

why i won't race elites (this year)

This is me when I was a freshman and sophomore in high school. 


 

Although the nicknames from grammar school (big momma, refrigerator and chicken mc nugget) didn't stick, the stigma attached to being a fat kid did. I participated in sports, practicing just as many hours as the rest of the team, but always sat the bench when it was game time. I never ran a mile until I got to college and joined the novice crew (rowing) team. The pounds came off and a physical transformation took place. 

I bought a bike in 2011, did a bunch of group rides and decided to race in 2012. I left my first road race in an ambulance and crashed out of my second one. About half way through the season, my teammates suggested that I try cyclocross. It sounded like fun, so I bought a bike and went to a clinic at Belmont Plateau. That was the first time I was on my CX bike. The second, was Whirly Bird CX, my first race. I was in love! I completed seven races last season. My best finishes were 4th at Crosssasuarus Awesome and 5th at Stoudts CX. 

From January to August I rode my bike 4,975 miles...that's 306 hours on the bike, most of that time was spent alone. 

My only goal entering this season was a top 10 finish in a MAC Race. After making the podium in my first PA Race, Town Hall, I began thinking that I had a shot at winning the PA Series. The following weekend I went on to win Star Rock CX and West Chester CX. It was the first time I had won anything. Those wins gave me enough points to upgrade from a 4 to a 3, which I did. 

After my third win at Crossasaurus Awesome, I started to hear the word "sandbagger" being tossed around, along with the suggestion that I move up to race in the 1/2/3 field. 

At 39 years old, I will most likely never be in this spot again. I worked my ass off for eight months in preparation for this season. I have every right to enjoy the feeling of success.MySpace Tracker

1 comment:

Lance Dunn said...

Don't listen to those turds. Enjoy your time on the podium!