Saturday, November 9, 2013

FSVS CX

I love cross. Today, it didn't love me back.

The pre-ride went well in the sense that it gave me a game plan for the tricky sections. Then came the call ups...the official lined us up nine across in a space fit for only six or seven riders. We were elbow to elbow. The whistle blew, I was cut off and fought to stay upright. I kept my composure and tried to move up. Then, two riders in front of me crashed on an off camber turn. While they were sorting it out, the rest of the field was gaining distance. I squeezed by, knowing that at this point I had over a minute of ground to make up. We entered the next section of steep, off camber hills and another rider went down. I narrowly avoided being taken down with her.

The field spread out and things settled down on the remaining laps. Out of contention, my focus shifted to riding the corners cleanly and making smooth transitions. It became a much needed practice session because my technical skills aren't very good.

I finished in ninth place, still respectable for a MAC race, but not where I had hoped to be...that's the way it goes in cx...sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug. Today, I was the bug. Thankfully, there's good beer and a another race to look forward to.

FSVS CX Post Race Beer: Epic Brewing Company Cross Fever

This was given to me by the most awesome winner of today's race. It reminds me a bit of the Vienna Red at Iron Hill.  I will drink the entire thing in her honor, but mostly because at 4.8% I can.
MySpace Tracker

No comments: