Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Neighborly Thing To Do

Two weeks ago I was doing a cx workout at the local soccer field. My neighbor rode his bike up to the tennis courts across the street and proceeded to dump empty vodka bottles into the trashcan. Last week I saw him pedaling up our block, in his basket were items dressed in brown paper bags. The next day, he had a seizure and was taken via ambulance to the hospital.

I told my parents what I saw and they advised me to keep it to myself, but I couldn't...it was eating away at me...and I thought, if this happened back in the time when neighbors looked out for each other there wouldn't be a second thought as to what I should do.

So I sat with it...and then I saw his wife outside raking leaves...I walked over to inquire about his status and then I said that I noticed him doing something strange. She asked what it was (because he does a lot of things that are strange) and I told her that I saw him emptying bottles (I did not say what they were) into the trashcan by the tennis courts. She was not surprised. She said that he thinks she doesn't know and tries to hide it, but he has been an alcoholic for a long time. 

My concern was the implication that this could have if no one was aware of his problem...because he is prone to seizures and taking medication for it. The non-accusatory approach I took was received well and I feel better for having said something.MySpace Tracker

No comments: