Monday, July 25, 2011

adult piñatas

A couple weeks ago, I was invited by a friend of mine to be a guest at a wedding. I don’t enjoy going to weddings for people I know, let alone complete strangers, but I was promised that this wedding would be different (the theme was “Day of the Dead” and the table centerpieces were skulls) So, I agreed to go and figured that, at the very least, I’d engorge myself on the Mexican buffet.

We arrived at the venue (a pier on the beach) about five minutes prior to the start of the 4pm ceremony, were handed bug bands and doused with OFF! (the greenheads on the dunes are relentless little fuckers). Half an hour later, we were informed that the show was about to start and prompted to look toward the parking lot. There, the bride and groom (dressed in speedos) pedaled their bikes down the dirt road that lead to the pier.

The entire ceremony was written by the bride (an accomplished poetess) and flowed smoothly. Before I knew it, my plate was full of burritos, chips and guacamole and all was right with the world!

After dinner, we all gathered around the first of three piñatas that were to be broken with a wiffle ball bat (by the third one, the bat was trashed and the bride took matters into her own hands with a folding chair).

As each piñata broke, a variety of goodies fell to the ground and the younger guests, rushed to pick them up. These piñatas, however, were not your traditional piñatas. And, while there were plenty of skittles, tootsie rolls and butterfingers to be had, there was also a nice assortment of adult items, such a vibrators and furry leopard print blindfolds.

It was definitely the most entertaining part of the evening, watching the five and six-year-olds stick vibrators in their pockets and then return to their parents to proudly show them their prizes.




MySpace Tracker

1 comment:

Kate Twigg said...

haha... I hope you had a good time at wedding. Thank you for being my date! Im looking forward to seeing all the pictures from that dolphin's travels!