Friday, July 6, 2012

Chesco Road Race Part Deux

After the race, I cooled down and made my way back to the finish line to look for my friend from another team who had fallen off the back during the second lap. We chatted; I got changed, grabbed a drink and walked to the trailer where the results were posted.

My name was not on the results sheet. A man instructed me to speak with the officials. I gave them my name and bib number. They told me I had finished in 16th place (five riders after my friend who had gotten dropped). I informed them that this was not correct. They were angry at this remark and said they would fix it, but it would take a while. Twenty minutes later, I walked back and the same results sheet (without my name on it) was posted.

Two women from my race were standing nearby and spoke to an official on my behalf. Once again, she assured me that they would fix the error, but that it was going to take some time. I never saw an official results sheet with my name on it so I felt confident she’d honor her word.

She didn’t. So, I emailed the promoter of the race. Based on what I have heard about his reputation, I don’t expect to hear back from him. For the money I paid to enter the race, asking the officials to get the finishing order correct doesn’t seem unreasonable.

There was a photographer at the finish line. Today I looked at the race photos, which again confirmed my placement. This was my best result so far, one that would have earned me an upgrade point or two. It would have been nice to see that on paper. Hopefully, I can make that happen this weekend in New York.

6th place finish Chesco Road Race


MySpace Tracker

No comments: