Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Chesco Road Race

This was my first race outside of the fine state of NJ. It was a 13.2 mile loop, which we completed twice for a total of 26.4 miles.

Last night I was talking to my teammate, Lauren, about carpooling. We went on to discuss what color sports bras and socks we’d wear, and what we planned on eating after the race. While other teams were most likely discussing tactics or the course profile, we had the important things covered.


The NJ races draw the same teams week after week, so it was nice to see some new faces in the field of about twenty women.

We started off slowly and I found myself frequently tapping the brakes. There were several “rolling hills” and one big climb near the finish line. I spent most of the race somewhere in the back, staying hydrated and watching how the other women climbed. Half way into the second lap, I knew where I wanted to be for the finish and got myself into position at the final turn. From there, it was all up hill. I popped it into the little ring and started to pick up the pace, picking off riders one by one...and then, I sprinted...or at least I did what I thought was a sprint, for a 6th place finish...my best result so far.

The highlight of the day was the Victory Brewing Company, Brewpub on Wheels, which was serving Victory Root Beer on tap. Lauren and I grabbed a cold one, sat in the shade and discussed our next adventure, The Pawling Mountain Road Race this Sunday...I’m baking brownies and we’re wearing our honey badger socks.


MySpace Tracker

No comments: