Sunday, July 29, 2012

sunset

My mom-mom passed away in late January of 2008. After the funeral mass, my friend Neen handed me a card. On the front of it was a photo of a sunset. She went on to explain the significance of the photo. It was very special to her because it was taken the evening her friend Rob’s dad died. It was his sunset.

And these were her words:
I am not sure where or how to begin to tell you I know your pain, your loss. I know how very special your mom-mom was to you...so in this most difficult time, know that I am here for you. Embrace all her beautiful memories...hold them close. Laugh. Cry...cherish her impact on your heart, your soul, your life. And know I am here...to be your friend...to offer a hug.

This is Neen’s sunset...


She was the only friend who came to the funeral. During the months prior to my mom-mom’s passing, there were several afternoons when we would meet for tea and talk about the hurt and loss I was feeling at the time. The week after the funeral I went to her house for tea. I brought her flowers and a piece of folded up paper. The paper was the original copy of "pay it forward" something I had written and read from the altar at the funeral. Of all the words/things I have written, that is what I am most proud of....and I know that she loved me for giving it to her and I loved her for being exactly what I needed her to be during a time when I felt lost.

And so I will embrace all the memories of Neen. I will hold them close. Laugh. Cry...cherish her impact on my heart, my soul, my life.  


“That though the radiance which was once so bright be now forever taken from my sight. Though nothing can bring back the hour of splendor in the grass, glory in the flower. We will grieve not, rather find strength in what remains behind.”
- William Wordsworth

MySpace Tracker

No comments: