Sunday, July 15, 2012

NJ State Road Race Championship

The NJ State Road Race Championship consisted of two, twenty-two mile laps for a total of forty-four miles. I started the race in an unfamiliar place...on the front. My legs were feeling pretty decent, but I quickly realized that forty-four miles is a long time. So, I alternated between riding mid-pack and then drilling it on the front.  

I was on the front when we came to an intersection at around mile twenty. Unfortunately, I only got half of the turn correct and steered off course, taking a good portion of the field with me. We turned around and time trialed to catch back on. The lead car was in sight and so was the field. They were no more than 100 meters away, far enough back to watch a crash unfold. The rider who went down was a friend of mine from another team. Prior to the start of the race, I told her where my phone and ID were and she told me where hers were. I stayed with her until someone arrived to take her and her bike back to the parking lot.

I rode back up to the start/finish line and found her teammates. An ambulance was called and she was taken to the hospital. While I was packing up and changing at my car, a guy who rides for another local team rolled up. I asked him how he did and he responded that he came in third. He seemed somewhat disappointed by this so I questioned him. He told me that if he had had another fifty meters he could have won. My friend just left in an ambulance and here he was, complaining about fifty meters. I congratulated him and headed off to watch the conclusion of the race.

Two of my friends from NY (Innervation Fitness/Stan’s No Tubes) crossed the line in first and second place. A local rider who I have become friendly with in the past year crossed the line in third. She was the first NJ rider, which earned her the State Champion’s Jersey. All three women are incredibly hard workers and it was great to see them on the podium.

It was time to move on to bigger and better things, namely the celebration of National Ice Cream Day and a swim in the ocean with my NY buddies.

On the drive home, I thought about the day and the friendships that I have made this season. I tried to explain it to someone a few weeks ago, how fortunate I feel for having so many good things come my way. I just hope that I'm doing my part to show others my gratitude.

MySpace Tracker

No comments: