Sunday, July 1, 2012

Driving North

It was 5 o’clock on Saturday afternoon when I unplugged. Nothing was so important that it couldn’t wait a day or two. The cooler was filled with grilled chicken, fruits and a freshly baked batch of sweet potato brownies. The jeep was filled with a few toys, recently purchased for my upcoming trip to Glacier National Park and in need of a field test.

I had been to Hickory Run State Park several times before and it was a familiar place, which made it perfect for my first solo camping adventure. I arrived shortly before 8pm, set up camp, and then headed out for a drive on 80 West in search of root beer. The sun had set and in the distance, the sky was painted with fireworks displays from neighboring towns. 

Sleep was surprisingly comfortable on my stoic sleeping pad. Hopefully it will feel the same way during the week in Glacier. Breakfast was fruit and coffee ala jet boil java kit. One thing I won’t compromise on, even when camping, is coffee. The new tent came down without a hitch and I headed for the boulder field. 

The field comprises about 720,000 square feet (67,000 m2) (16.5 acres (6.7 ha) or 0.026 square miles (0.067 km2)) in area (1,800 feet (550 m) east-west by 400 feet (120 m) north-south) and was created by periglacial activity during the Ice Age. In other words, it’s HUGE AMOUNT OF REALLY OLD ROCKS. 


I walked far enough out so that the sounds of screaming children could not be heard, made myself comfortable and basked in the sun for a while. The drive home was filled with a sense of accomplishment. It was a small step, but a step nonetheless toward my goal of solo hike on the AT in September.

MySpace Tracker

No comments: