Sunday, June 17, 2012

in my own company

I saw this quote today by Oscar Wilde and it resonated with me...
"I think it’s very healthy to spend time alone. You need to know how to be alone and not be defined by another person.”

For a little over a year now I have been doing all of my favorite things alone. I would rather be by myself than with someone else just for the sake of having company. I think that sometimes, people rush into relationships because they cannot be alone; I think that sometimes people stay in relationships because they cannot be alone.

While I definitely would prefer to have someone to share these experiences with, I also see the good that comes from spending time alone. My alone time is like a “gas station” where I refuel, reflect and strengthen myself. It makes me a better person, which in turn enhances my interactions with those around me. 


MySpace Tracker

No comments: