Wednesday, June 27, 2012

washington square

A little bit-o-history: Washington Square was one of Philadelphia's five original squares as laid out in 1682 by William Penn's surveyor, Thomas Holme. It was then called Southeast Square, as Quakers did not believe in naming places after people. Within 25 years of Penn's arrival, the square was being used as a potter's field and a burial yard for strangers in the city. It served in this capacity from 1704 to 1794. I started visiting this park five summers ago. 

There is a deli about a block away that sells cookies as big as your face. I grab a cup of coffee, a cookie and find a bench to sit and people watch. 

There are days when I am sad and I come here to forget.

There are days when I am sad and I come here to remember. 

There are days when I am happy and I come here to make memories, ones that I will carry inside until the next time my path crosses with the many other strangers who share this space with me.


MySpace Tracker

No comments: